Wednesday, February 25, 2015

St George Trip-- Martin Luther King Weekend


We took the kids down to St George since we were tired of the cold January weather and we had a long holiday weekend. We left early Friday morning. 



We stayed at the Abby Inn. My kids love this hotel. Brad's favorite part is the all you can eat full breakfast buffet. 

We checked into the hotel then took them to the Children's Museum. 











After that we walked around the boulevard for a while. The sunshine felt so good. My kids loved all the palm trees. It is amazing to me that Southern Utah is so different than Northern Utah.  



That night we took the kids to the theater by the hotel. We saw Big Hero 6, 


Then we drove up to the outlook to see all the city lights. 


Did I mention that the weather was amazing. 


On Saturday we took the kids to Zions to do some hiking. I hadn't been to Zion's since I was in collage. I had forgotten how incredibly beautiful it was. 





Our first stop was the weeping rock. 


The kids were yelling from the top to hear their echoes. Harrison was cute because he couldn't say echo... he kept saying fecko.

After a few minutes of yelling down the canyon. We heard a familiar reply from the bottom. It was Uncle Steven. They were there with some of Karri's family. They recognized my kids yells. I couldn't believe that we bumped into them. What are the odds. 


We decided to join them on their hike up Hidden Canyon. Poor Uncle Steven carried H on his shoulders for a big chunk of the ascent. 


This hike was beautiful but intense. I wan't nervous while we were hiking with my kids but looking at this picture makes my stomach turn. My kids were so good and listened to all our directions. 


There was something new and beautiful at every turn. 


Brad and Claire loved holing on to the chains. It was quite the adventure. 



Yes... that is a huge drop off!!!!


We finally made it to the top. Kari and Steven went on with their group. We decided to turn around and go back down since the kids were tired and hungry. 



We made it!!! We can do hard things!

When we got to the car I looked at our map and saw that hidden canyon is rated strenuous... the highest rating. I am glad I didn't see the map before we left because I would have assumed the kids wouldn't be able to do it. I am so glad we did it. It was amazing.



The views were amazing from the top. 


Then we drove to Temple of Sinawava to walk on the River Trail at the mouth of the narrows.  




The views were breathtaking. These pictures don't so this place justice. We will just have to keep going back to see it in person. 

We ate a couple of snacks to hold us over then went to Rocky Peak Rentals to grab our buggy and go for a quick ride through the sand dunes by Sand Hollow.  



H fell asleep within 5 minutes so he missed the whole thing. 

After our buggy ride we were STARVING we had gone all day just eating snacks. We found a new burger place called Habit that had good reviews. It didn't disappoint. It tasted amazing. 



Sunday morning we got up early and went to Snow Canyon. There was no one there. We had the whole place to ourselves. 


Our fist stop was Jenny's canyon. The color of rock here was so intense. 


I got Randy a Go Pro for Christmas so he got to play with his new toy while on this trip. The kids were making fun of him and giggling that all he wanted to do was take a bunch of selfies. They think they are so funny. 



This was the coolest slot canyon. It was just off the road, and perfect for kids. 






The next stop were the petrified sand dunes. Randy took Brad and Claire to the top since H had fallen asleep in the car. I stayed and took pictures from the car. 




View from the top. 


After Snow Canyon we let the kids swim in the pool at the Hotel. 



That night we were invited to go to dinner at the Bishop's house. He was one of Randy's really good friends growing up. They had late church so we had a few hours to kill while we waited for dinnertime. We found a few parks to visit. 



We found a little hidden duck pond at Tonaquint Nature Center. 





Of course Randy found a duck blind in St George. Good thing he didn't have a shotgun. 

Dinner at Richard and Becca's house was so fun. The kids got along great. It was like they had known each other their whole life. I am kicking myself that I didn't get a picture with their family. 

Monday morning Randy had a business meeting. I took the kids to the outlet malls to do a bit of shopping. Then we picked up Randy and headed home. 


This was about 5 minutes after pulling onto the highway. The kids were exhausted. It was such a great weekend. I am anxious to go back. 





No comments:

Post a Comment