Friday, April 18, 2014

Spring Break 2014

Spring break started out pretty rough!!! This picture is just the beginning. 



Our plan was to go camping for the week at Plymouth Hot Springs. I was packing the trailer and needed something from the house. Harrison was watching a movie downstairs while we packed. I sent Brad inside to grab something for me. Seconds later he ran out of the house screaming at the top of his lungs "Mom!!! Fire Fire Fire...there is a fire in the house".  I asked him where Harrison was and he said he didn't know. I dropped everything and ran into the house. I was in a total panic. Right when I opened the front door I saw and smelled smoke. It seemed to take me forever to run down the stairs into the living room to get to him. The farther into the house I got the thicker the smoke was. I was terrified. I could barely see through the thick smoke in the room. He was sitting right where I put him on the recliner. I scooped him up in a frenzy. As I turned around I saw a couch cushion on the floor glowing orange. I picked it up with my other hand hoping that it was the only source of fire and ran out of the house. I dropped the pillow on the grass then I gathered all my kids across the street to call 911. As I stood there on the sidewalk I looked down and noticed I had no shoes, no bra and just PJ's, I was hideous!!! Oh well. Claire just visited the fire department on Friday at school so as soon as she saw Ben the firefighter at our house she said "Mom...we are going to be okay, Ben is here!" I needed the brief comedic relief. Once the first firetruck arrived neighbors started noticing. Annette ran out and took the kids inside to keep them calm. I stayed outside shaking like a leaf. I called Randy and waited for the firefighters to tell me something...anything. I was relieved when I got the news that the pillow was the source of the smoke and that everything was okay in the house. If you look close at the picture you can still see the pillow smoldering.  Harrison had put the couch cushion against the fireplace and it smoldered for quite some time. By then Matt and Tori were home and Randy got home too. Along with several more firetrucks.  Trish came and brought me a hoddie so I felt decent. The fire department set up fans and aired the house of the carbon monoxide and smoke. Tori and Matt ran to the school and grabbed as many fans as they could find. The house was stinky!!!



Looking at this pillow I am reminded of all the tender mercies that Heavenly Father sent us that day. We were being watched by angels. We are so blessed. This could have been really bad!

After things settled down and we could go back into the house I was determined to finish packing and get out of town. Within a couple of hours we were ready to go. 
Once we arrived to check in at the campground we got terrible news that camping world was going into foreclosure and closing. They had to kick out all the campers and no one could stay. I couldn't believe it. Randy and I couldn't think of anywhere else to go. We decided to head home. The kids were pretty bummed about not camping and swimming. We decided to take them to Crystal Hot Springs to at least go swimming before going home. It was so crowded there it was ridiculous. I felt like we were all packed in like a bunch of Vienna sausages. You couldn't move without elbowing or bumping someone. Bleck...at least the kids didn't mind and had fun. I don't think I will ever go back there. 

Tuesday morning the kids helped me get the trailer unpacked and things loaded back in the house. I had spent the last day and a half packing and unpacking. While I was fixing lunch I got a call that Camping World decided not to close and invited us to go back. NO WAY was I going to pack up the trailer again. I told them no. I am glad I did since they closed it again the next day. I would have been ballistic if I packed up again just to get kicked out the next day. What a mess. 

The weather was bad so that afternoon Kamie came over with the girls, and Wyatt came over. We let the kids set up a fort in the living room. It entertained them for a little bit. 


At one point all the kids were in there at once. It got too crowded for most of them. Wyatt and Claire were the only ones to stick it out and finish the movie on my tablet under the fort. 



Harrison would not leave Brad's side. He was loving having big brother at home all day. He is so used to him being at school. He wanted Brad to dress him and do his hair. These two are so far apart in age that they rarely fight. 

Brad and Rochelle were going to go camping with us. Since they couldn't go either they called and said they had tickets to the Grizzly game on Wed night. Randy got off work early and we headed to Salt Lake for the evening. We stopped in Layton to see Lance and Kendra's new house. It was cute and so fun. The kids were excited to see their cousin Kailee. 

The game was so fun. The kids were completely entertained the whole time. It was nice because we were in a suite. The kids could get up and walk around without bugging anyone and things were chill and relaxed. Plus they got all the popcorn they could eat. I thought we would be fighting H the whole time but he LOVED it just as much as the older kids. 



On Thursday Melissa invited us to Garland to bottle feed a few bum lambs. Some of them were only 24 hours old. They also got to see a few lambs born just minutes before we arrived. They were beautiful soft and so mellow. I loved every second...and so did my kids. It was the cutest thing ever. Melissa's brother Hayden let Claire name one of the lambs. She chose Lucy. It fit her. 







I could have stayed there all day. 

After feeding the lambs we met Kamie at Willow Park to have a picnic and go to the Zoo. We were going to try to attempt baby animal days but the weather was not looking very promising. We didn't want to spend a bunch of money just to leave. We thought the Zoo was a much safer bet. 



H and Reagan sharing a parfait. It was quite a sweet moment. 







We went through the zoo pretty quick since a huge cold front was moving in. Within minutes it was freezing. We hurried and loaded everyone in the car just in time for a bit of hail. 

Kam and I didn't feel like making dinner so we stopped and got Pappa Murphy's Pizza. So good and so yummy!!! 

Friday was our last day of Spring Break. We let the kids play outside for a bit while the weather was sunny. It was supposed to be rainy all day. So far so good. 






Cole came over to play with Brad for a bit... 
There are several things wrong with this picture. #1. Brad's pants that are embarrassingly too short. Poor kid. I refuse to buy him new pants...we are so close to summer. 2. The ridiculously large weeds, how embarrassing. #3. the garbage collection that the wind collected in this corner...gross. and #4. The mink manure from the fall that desperately need to be tilled and lettuce should all ready be planted. 

Okay now I can move on!

It started to get a bit cold so we brought the kids inside to watch Frozen. 




That night Brad and Rochelle came over for a BBQ and pretend camping since we didn't get to go.


Mr. Bentley was so cute and smiley. Love him!!!


We built a fire and made smores.



Randy let the kids ride their motorcycles. Like I said we were pretend camping!





Ohhh cute little Bentley!






The week may have started shakey but it ended on a good note. Now we just need some good weather so we can go real camping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment